We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Wounded Couplet

This is a form invented by Lillibet, aka Streambed on Allpoetry.

This form contains within its rhyming pattern, two couplets, one of which seems wounded, and is wrapped by four other lines, hence some rationale for its name.

It is stanzaic, consisting of any number of octains.
It is syllabic 10/10/6/10/10/10/10/10
It is metric, using iambic meter.
It is rhymed, the pattern being: abccbadd


Example Poem

Elixir     (Wounded Couplet)


















My lover went a wandering I think
for he believes that magic will restore
his potency and verve.
He wants to play around is all.  What nerve!
He claims he's seeking mermaids by the shore
to find for him an elixir to drink.
Which beats testosterone in every way
whenever fortitude comes into play.

The tavern called the "Wharf" is near the beach
and frequently young barmaids catch his eye
(which seldom scans the shore.)
Perhaps it's just the scanty clothes they wore.
I guess he'll look for fairies by and by.
The man's intent let's try not to impeach.
If elixir's at home in foaming glass
he'll need a test, and's sure to make a pass.

I figured then that two could play that game
so put on fairy costume with a mask
and strode into the bar.
The men's reactions  bordered on bizarre.
I had five drinks and didn't have to ask,
But all their pick-up lines were truly lame.
When sitting, my costume revealed my thighs,
which seemed to be a magnet for the guys.

My lover was among the gazing flock,
He leered at me with barely hidden lust.
His fairy had appeared.
The absence of a potion was not feared,
as his eyes roamed from ankles up to bust.
His codpiece was enlarged, and not with socks.
The elixir was visual nothing more.
Adventure comes to men when they explore.

I saw some girls were equally entranced
with fairy wings and panty showing skirt,
and thus I tweaked my plan
and this is how my fairy tale began.
I planned and schemed and still had time to flirt
and with each wink I found my plan enhanced.
With stealth each girl departed then came back
prepared to mount our fairy tale attack.

Each girl returned in fairy tale attire
and each in turn gave their farewell that night
then walked out to the sea.
We danced and splashed and shared a fine esprit
and spoke of fairy kings and mortal's plight
and all the fantasy the men require.
My lover saw his fairies on the beach
but all of us were well beyond his reach.

When I got home light hues announced the dawn.
my drunken lover was unconscious yet.
He needed all his sleep.
As planned, his dreams were bothersome and deep.
He woke and pulled me close and said, "Annette,
It frightened me when last night you were gone.
It gave me pause and gave me cause to grieve.
I'll not again go chasing make believe."

© Lawrencealot - April 14, 2014



Visual Template


No comments:

Post a Comment